Are you eligible for a Disabled Students' Allowance?

50% of eligible students don't know about Disabled Students' Allowances (DSAs).
Contact Associates wants to change that.

You don't have to worry about undergoing a long and complicated means test. You just have to spend a few minutes on our online eligibility checker, answering some simple questions. We can then determine if you're eligible for a DSA and take you through the steps you need to take next.

You don't have to worry about travelling to an assessment centre, either. Our friendly and experienced assessors can assess you remotely and quickly by phone or video chat, no matter where you live in the UK. You can book an assessment online, via email or phone - whichever suits you best.

Contact Associates is the largest and only national provider of DSA assessments. We have more than 30 accredited assessment centres across the UK. Last year we helped more than 15,000 students claim DSAs worth £30m.

Thrive while you study

DSAs are grants that give you extra support while you're at college or university to help you to really thrive while you study. They entitle you to services such as assistive technology, extra tutoring, note taking and transport.

You don't have to undergo a means test to see whether you qualify for one – you just have to live in the UK and have been diagnosed by a professional with one or more conditions that affect your ability to study. And you don't have to pay the grant back after you've finished studying.

A wide range of diagnosed conditions qualify for DSAs. Examples include:

  • Specific learning difficulties (SpLDs) – for example, dyslexia, dyspraxia, or attention deficit (hyperactivity) disorder (AD(H)D).
  • Mental health difficulties - for example, depression, anxiety, eating disorders, obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD), bipolar affective disorder, personality disorders, or psychosis.
  • Autism spectrum conditions (ASCs) – including Asperger syndrome (AS) and high-functioning autism (HFA).
  • Sensory impairments - for example, visual or hearing impairment, blindness, or deafness (with or without British Sign Language as a first or preferred language).
  • Mobility difficulties - for example, paralysis, scoliosis, chronic pain, difficulty walking, or using a wheelchair.
  • Ongoing health conditions - for example, arthritis, epilepsy, diabetes, cystic fibrosis, narcolepsy, repetitive strain injury (RSI), cancer, HIV, hepatitis, multiple sclerosis, Crohn's disease, chronic pain, lupus, or chronic fatigue syndrome/myalgic encephalomyelitis (CFS/ME).

DSAs are available to students on these higher education courses:

  • full-time and part-time
  • unpaid sandwich
  • open and distance learning
  • postgraduate.

You don't have to have a confirmed place at university or college before you apply for your DSA. We recommend that you apply as early as possible, so you have one in place before your course starts, but you can do it at any point during your studies.

You can also apply for a DSA if youve taken other higher education courses in the past, although you can't apply for more than one at a time.


Apply for a DSA

When you apply for student finance, let the provider know that you want to apply for the DSA as well. You can then apply online or download an application form.

You'll be asked to provide proof of your diagnosed condition (such as a diagnostic assessment or a letter from your doctor) along with your completed DSA application form.

If you're eligible for a grant, you'll receive an approval letter from your DSA funding provider and you'll be asked to attend a needs assessment at a centre of your choice, to explore your course requirements and your learning needs.

Following the needs assessment, you'll receive a DSA2 Entitlement letter, explaining what equipment and support has been approved for your course and how to get it.

The details of your DSA and needs assessment report will then be sent to your university or college disability adviser, who'll arrange for any support or adjustments that you need.